When are online placement evaluations available?
- Online placement evaluations will be available for incoming Fall 2018 students approximately 72 hours after registering for orientation or on April 5th 2018 (which ever is later).
- International students will be able to access their math placement evaluation approximately 72 hours after registering for orientation or on April 5th 2018 (which ever is later). However, English Language Proficiency evaluations are taken on campus during orientation.
- Students who will be in the Engineering and Computer Science programs will be taking their math placement evaluations in a new system called ALEKS. This service is available in the Portal by clicking the My Apps button (top right of the screen).
When should I take my online placement evaluation?
Most students can begin taking their evaluations online starting on the date listed above. We recommend you take the evaluations as soon as possible. This way, if you run into any technical problems you can let us know and have time to get them resolved before orientation. We HIGHLY recommend you take your evaluations at least two weeks before your orientation date. Do not wait until the last minute!
If you are a native speaker of a language and/or believe you can place out of the placement evaluation, do NOT take the language placement evaluation online. You should take the placement evaluation on campus during your orientation week. If you take the evaluation online and place out, you will be asked to take it again on campus to verify your score.
Where do I take my online placement evaluations?
- For most students, both the math and language placement evaluations are taken in Blackboard. Click here for instructions on accessing the service.
- Students who will be in the Engineering or Computer Science programs will be taking their math placement evaluations in a new system called ALEKS. This service is available in the Portal by clicking the My Apps button (top right of the screen).
- Students who need to take the Japanese placement evaluation will take the evaluation on campus during the week they attend orientation. Details on the location and time of the evaluation will be provided by an orientation leader during orientation.
Do you have any tips for taking the online placement evaluations?
- Take the evaluation in a quiet place. Make sure that place will remain quiet for the duration of the evaluation.
- Avoid doing anything else at the same time you are taking the evaluation.
- Do not try taking the evaluations on a mobile phone or a tablet. The tests may not function correctly and will be hard to read. We recommend you use a Windows or Apple computer. If you don't have access to a Windows or Apple computer you can take the test in a local library.
- Have scrap paper handy for the Math placement evaluation. Unless you are a Computer Science or Engineering student who is taking the placement evaluation using ALEKS, calculators are not permitted during the evaluation.
- If you are using a Wireless Internet connection, try to be as close to your router as possible to give you the best possible connection speed. If possible, use an Ethernet cable and connect directly to your router.
I get an error when I try to access Blackboard. How do I fix it?
If you are trying to access Blackboard following the previously provided instructions and are getting an error, the problem could be one of several things:
- It is before April 5th, 2018: If you try to access Blackboard before your placement evaluations are ready you will receive an error.
- You have not signed up or you recently signed up for orientation: When you sign up for orientation you answer questions that help determine which evaluations you need to take. After you sign up, it can take up to 3 business days to process your registration.
If none of the above explains why you are having trouble accessing Blackboard, please email StudentHelp@Hofstra.edu using your Hofstra email address and let us know you are experiencing this issue. We would be happy to help!
I can get into Blackboard but don't see my placement evaluation(s). How do I get the missing evaluation(s)?
You may be missing either your language or math evaluation (or both) for any of the following reasons:
- It is before April 5th, 2018: Some students will be able to access Blackboard before this date but you won't be able to see the placement evaluations until this date.
- You have not signed up for orientation: Some students will be able to access Blackboard before signing up for orientation but you will not automatically get placement evaluations until after you register for orientation.
- It has been less than 3 business days since you registered for orientation: Some students will be able to access Blackboard prior to getting placement evaluations. However, it can take up to 3 business days for placement evaluations to appear after registering for orientation.
- When you signed up for orientation you indicated you did not take a language in high school: If you have indicated you did not take a language in high school you will not be given a language placement evaluation. If you chose this option in error, please email StudentHelp@Hofstra.edu using your Hofstra email address and let us know.
- You are an international student: International students will only see a math placement evaluation. English Language Proficiency evaluations are taken in person on campus during orientation.
- You are an Engineering or Computer Science student: You will be taking your placement evaluation using a new program called ALEKS. This service is available in the Portal by clicking the My Apps button (top right of the screen).
- You are taking the Japanese placement evaluation: This evaluation is administered on campus during the week you attend orientation. You will be given details on the location and time of the test by your orientation leader during orientation.
If you need assistance with a missing evaluation please contact the Student Technical Support Center or email StudentHelp@Hofstra.edu using your Hofstra email address. Let us know the evaluation you are missing and we will investigate the issue.
I want to take a placement evaluation in multiple languages. Is this possible?
Yes, you can request an additional placement evaluation. Email us at StudentHelp@Hofstra.edu using your Hofstra email address and let us know which language you want to take an evaluation in and why. Please allow up to two business days to process your request.
When I signed up for orientation I accidentally indicated I did not take any foreign languages but I would like to take a foreign language placement evaluation. How do I fix this?
Send an email to Orientation@Hofstra.edu as soon as possible using your Hofstra email address. Be sure to include your Hofstra ID number and the language you want to take an evaluation for in your email.
What AP scores get me credit at Hofstra University?
I took an AP evaluation in math or a foreign language. Do I need to take the Hofstra placement evaluation?
There is no harm in taking a Hofstra placement evaluation if you have taken an AP evaluation. If your AP score is high enough to get Hofstra credit that score will be used instead of the placement evaluation score. If your score is not high enough to get Hofstra credit but you do well on the Hofstra evaluation you may be able to place out of the subject you did well in.
You should definitely take the evaluation(s) if:
- You haven't received your official AP score yet: If you haven't gotten your score yet you should take the Hofstra placement evaluations to help your advisor better advise you on what courses you can take. If you get your AP score and it is high enough to get you Hofstra credit, that score will supersede whatever you got on the placement evaluations. You can always change your class schedule if you no longer need a course you registered for as a result of your AP score.
- You plan on taking language courses for a language you did not take an AP for or that you did not study in High School: See the I want to take a placement evaluation in multiple languages question above for information on getting access to a language test you don't already have.
While taking the Math Placement evaluation I saw 5 answer bubbles but only 4 answers. How do I fix this?
If you were taking the math placement evaluation and some/all of your questions looked like the picture below you may have an ad or script blocker that is interfering with your evaluation. Click here for instructions on disabling your ad blocker. You will also need your evaluation reset if you have completed it and scored low as a result of this issue or if you were unable to complete the evaluation and ran out of time. To get your evaluation reset, please call the Student Technical Support Center or email StudentHelp@Hofstra.edu using your Hofstra email address. evaluations can only be reset Monday through Friday between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm.
My browser closed while I was taking the evaluation. What do I do?
As you take the evaluation, Blackboard will automatically save your answers. So if your browser closes for any reason you can open it again and you should be able to continue where you left off. However, if you ran out of time or feel you will not be able to complete the evaluation in the time remaining, please DO NOT attempt to complete the evaluation. Instead please call the Student Technical Support Center or email StudentHelp@Hofstra.edu using your Hofstra email address and we will reset your evaluation for you. evaluations can only be reset Monday through Friday between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm.
I completed the basic algebra evaluation. Why don't I see the Calculus Readiness evaluation?
You must score at least a 16 out of 25 on the basic algebra evaluation to take the calculus readiness evaluation. If you scored below 16 you do not need to take the calculus evaluation.
I don't like the score I got on my placement evaluation. Can I retake it?
The math and language placement evaluations are designed to measure your proficiency in these subjects and to determine the appropriate level to continue your studies. There is no passing or failing. Different majors will have different requirements for math and foreign language. We want to ensure that we place you accordingly.
If you feel your score does not accurately reflect your ability you can discuss this with your advisor at New Student Orientation. We do not want to put you in a math course that you are not prepared for and you will not receive credit for a language course below your placement level. Your advisor will help you through this process. If you have questions you can speak to an Advising Dean in the Center for University Advising at (516) 463-6770 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.