I get some channels, but not all of them
To setup your television to receive all the channels available on campus, you will need to use your TV’s autoscan feature to program the channels into your TV. Unfortunately the process for doing this is not the same for all TVs but you can try the general instructions provided below:
- Go to the Menu or Setup screen on the television
- Find a section named Channel or Setup. Select Cable
- Look for Auto Channel Search or Channel Scan and select that option
- The scan may take some time to complete. Be sure not to interrupt the process to ensure your TV correctly programs all available channel
If the steps provided above do not work, please refer to the owner’s manual of your TV for instructions on completing an autoscan. If you know the model number of the TV (usually on a sticker on the back of the unit) you can also go to google and search for instructions to your particular TV. For example, if you have a Samsung X28i, you can search for “Samsung X28i autoscan” in google. Sometimes you may even find videos on performing the task on YouTube. For brand specific instructions see the documents listed below. Note: These instructions are still somewhat generic and may not work for your particular TV model.
For brand specific instructions see the documents listed below. Note: These instructions are still somewhat generic and may not work for your particular TV model.
I don’t get any channels
- Check that the coax cable is securely attached to your TV and to the coax port in the wall
- A clear QAM capable tuner is required to receive channels on Hofstra's digital TV network. Please check your owner’s manual to ensure that your TV has this type of tuner (most modern TVs do). If you need assistance checking if your TV has this type of tuner please email Student Computing Services at StudentHelp@Hofstra.edu the brand and model number of your TV and we can look into the matter for you. If your TV does not have a QAM tuner you will need to purchase a compatible unit to watch television on campus. We recommend you purchase a Samsung, LG or Vizio TV as these tend to be the most compatible with Hofstra’s television network. We also recommend you avoid purchasing Westinghouse, Coby, Element and Insignia TVs as many times they don’t have QAM tuners of have QAM tuners that don’t work well on campus.
- Ensure your TV is on the correct input. There is usually an Input button on the remote or the television itself to switch between inputs
The coax port on the wall appears damaged
Please give Student Computing Services a call at 516‐463‐7777 option 1 and let us know. Have your Hofstra ID number handy and be sure to provide a clear description of the damage (pushed into the wall, hanging off the wall, the port is bent, etc.). We will open a ticket to have your port repaired. Please note that repairs may take up to 72 hours to complete, especially during the beginning of any semester.
Still having trouble?
Please give the Student Technical Support Center a call at 516‐463‐7777 option 1 and we will do our best to help. We are open M‐Su between 8:00am and midnight (except major holidays).