What is the Microsoft Office Specialist Certification?
The Microsoft Office Specialist certifications allow you to prove you are proficient in the various Microsoft Office applications. Individual certifications are available for:
- Word 2016 (Core and Expert)
- Excel 2016 (Core and Expert)
- PowerPoint 2016 (Core)
- Access 2016 (Core)
- Outlook 2016 (Core)
In addition to the individual certifications, you can earn the following certifications:
- Associate Certification - Microsoft Office Specialist Office 2016: Pass the Word, Excel, and PowerPoint core exams.
- Expert Certification - Microsoft Office Specialist Office 2016 Expert: Pass both the Word and Excel expert exams
- Expert Certification - Microsoft Office Specialist Office 2016 Master Specialist: Pass the expert Word and Excel exams, as well as the core PowerPoint exam and either the Access or Outlook 2016 exam.
Why should I get MOS certified?
- Learn new skills: Have you always wanted to learn how to use Excel? Now you can and get an official certification of your knowledge.
- Add flair to your resume: Everyone says they are proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel on their resumes. Stand out from the crowd by telling employers your knowledge has been certified by Microsoft.
- It's FREE: A limited number of free exam vouchers are available for current members of the Hofstra community. One voucher per exam per person.
Who can get MOS certified?
Current students, faculty, and staff of the university are eligible to take the exam on campus. Former students are not eligible for this opportunity.
What do I need to know to pass a MOS exam?
|Word 2016 Core Objectives||Word 2016 Expert Objectives|
|Excel 2016 Core Objectives|
|PowerPoint 2016 Core Objectives||Access 2016 Core Objectives|
|Outlook 2016 Core Objectives|
What training resources are available?
Microsoft training videos and articles
Hofstra University can provide you a document with training videos and articles for the Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access core exams. Email MOSInfo@Hofstra,edu, and let us know which exam(s) you are interested in taking, and we'll send you the training document for that exam.
Practice exams are only available on Windows computers. Students using macOS will need to access GMetrix through PrideDesktop or in the open-access computer labs.
Students and faculty members are eligible to take practice examinations for free through an application called GMetrix which runs on Windows computers running Office 2016. Click here for GMetrix setup instructions. You'll need a group code to use GMetrix. Email MOSInfo@Hofstra.edu to request a code. If you are part of a class that requires you to take the GMetrix practice exams, please let us know what class you are a part of when you contact us.
Where can I sign up to take the certification exam?
At this time all MOS certification exams are canceled. Updates will be posted on this article as they become available. If you have any questions, please email Help@Hofstra.edu.
Where can I get additional information?
- Email MOSInfo@Hofstra.edu if you have any questions about the certification and available training.
- Visit Microsoft's website for more in-depth information on the Microsoft Office Specialist exams.